How many leads do you currently generate each month from your website? What’s the conversion rate of the forms and pieces of content on your website? What if you could install a new sales channel that could potentially generate 25% more leads for your website? Read on and we’ll discuss how you could generate a ton more leads with website live chat.
What is live chat?
Live chat is a method of talking to your customers in real time on your website. You’ve probably seen this on big company websites and e-commerce websites, where there’s a little chat box in the bottom right of the screen. Through live chat, you can talk to visitors while they browse your website in real time. This is an invaluable tool for generating leads, helping customers navigate your website and solving customer support issues.
How does it work?
Live chat can be installed on your website using a plugin or piece of code embedded on each page of the website. Live chat can be configured to always be ‘online’ for every visitor, or it can be configured to popup/trigger on certain events, depending on the live chat service you use and the plan you are on.
Here’s an example live chat scenario:
- A new visitor lands on your website
- They spend a few minutes browsing the website.
- They’re unable to quickly find what they are looking for.
- They see a live chat box in the bottom right corner of the screen which prevents them from leaving.
- They send a message using your live chat box asking if you can help them.
- A member of your team is able to quickly assure them you can help them and you generate a new lead, instead of that visitor leaving your website for a competitor’s site (which may be better designed and provide the information they are seeking).
How does it generate leads?
When somebody lands on your website for the first time, you have about 10 seconds to capture their interest and provide them with clear next steps that match their intentions or they will leave (sometimes forever). This is called the user journey.
Here are some simple ways you can generate more leads with a live chat box on your website:
- Being able to answer ‘buying questions’ from customers who are ready to purchase.
- Being able to direct visitors to relevant sections of your website.
- Being able to provide visitors with testimonials.
- Being able to provide quick information about what you can, or can’t do for the customer.
- Being able to capture phone or email information.
- Being proactive and helping your customer make their purchase.
- Being able to answer general information gathering questions.
- Being able to resolve customer support issues or complaints, turning one time customers into lifetime customers.
All of these are scenarios in which you could have lost 25% of your potential leads, if they decided to leave your website instead of pick up the phone (which more and more people are averse to doing in the first instance, especially in the B2B space).
Live chat provides an instant, non intrusive method of talking to and helping potential customers make a purchase, or become a lead when otherwise they might have left your site.
Which live chat providers are the best?
After trying out several live chat tools over the years, the best we have used are:
Hubspot offers a live chat tool as part of it’s free Hubspot Sales Software, and Zopim offers a free version of it’s live chat tool. I would recommend Hubspot purely because it makes sense to take advantage of the other great tools available in the free Marketing Starter Package, alongside using Hubspot CRM.
Live chat in action
See Hubspot live chat in action below.